Happy Black Friday! Yesterday was a great day filled with family, friends, and delicious food. Not surprisingly, I spent the whole day in the kitchen, and the only hiccup was my mom burning my beloved pumpkin pies. But I digress…
Even though I’m very sad that my favorite holiday has passed, I’m thankful that food is still in the air. Now, it’s time to use up those leftovers! Anyone can make a cranberry, turkey, and stuffing sandwich (my favorite), but if you still want to wow your guests, I have the recipe for you. Fortunately, these Turkey and Swiss Sloppy Joes are super easy to make, and you should already have the ingredients on hand! Here we go…
Leftover Turkey and Swiss Sloppy Joes
Serves 4, 1 Sandwich Each
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 9 ounces leftover turkey meat, finely diced (dark or white)
- 2 cups thinly sliced spinach or kale
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces presliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 leftover dinner rolls or whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 4 cranberry slices (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add kale, onion, thyme, garlic powder, and mushrooms; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once sautéed, add in diced turkey meat.
- Whisk together milk and flour in a bowl. Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in cheese, pepper, and salt.
- Divide turkey mixture between rolls/buns.
**Modified Cooking Light Recipe** http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/turkey-swiss-sloppy-joes