Hey y’all! As some of you know, I have been in Asheville, North Carolina for the past week having the time of my life. I’m going to do a separate post on Monday about my trip, but this morning I thought I would share a recipe with you that I learned during my travels…Baked Orange Hoisin Chicken Tenders. I promise you this salty sweet combination is sure to please your palate! The hoisin sauce delivers that delicious salty and sweet Asian flavor, and the orange juice provides a subtle citrus note that makes this meal perfect.
I’ll admit that when I had this recipe, it was in the form of chicken wings, but I knew that I could easily healthify it by using chicken tenders or breasts instead. Chicken thighs would even make a great substitute! The best part about this recipe is that’s very versatile. You can make extra sauce, add broccoli, and serve it over rice for a delicious new take on stir-fry. For a perfect holiday appetizer, you could use chicken wings instead and knock the socks off your guests (link below). The possibilities are endless! Enjoy 🙂
Orange Hoisin Chicken Tenders
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders (or sliced chicken breast), sprinkled with salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped finely or minced
- Zest from 1 medium orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish/serving
- Steamed rice and broccoli, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden (about 4 minutes), then flip and cook on the other side until done.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan (except cilantro). Stir and bring to a boil. Continue stirring until the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and spoon the sauce over the chicken to coat.
- Serve chicken over rice with broccoli, if desired, and drizzle the sauce on top. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
(1/4 of the chicken/sauce – does not include rice or broccoli)
Calories: 250, Fat: 5.6g, Sodium: 327mg, Carbs: 11.3g, Fiber: .6g, Sugar: 3.9g, Protein: 38.4g
Recipe adapted from: https://www.recipegirl.com/2016/04/02/hoisin-orange-chicken-tenders/